Hip flasks are cool, there’s no getting away from it. There really is nothing like having a classy, discreet way of having a quiet nip at a wedding or a funeral, or any other special occasion. After all, explorers, soldiers, and even a Pope carried a hip flask!
The right hip flask is not only functional, but they can be really attractive too, and can really set off your look if you choose the right one. The best hip flasks can make great gifts for any man, and are excellent for gift ideas for a best man or just as a thank you for being a great friend.
You can find them in just about any style you like, from plain to engraved to wrapped in leather or an interesting fabric. You can buy slim hip flasks, squat ones, flasks that come with their own set of glasses – the list goes on!
Here are a few reasons why I love them:
- A hip flask is a great solution to going to a bar and finding they don’t serve your favourite drink, or for when you find yourself in a place that doesn’t serve drink, but you find yourself really needing one (think a children’s school recital – those screeching out of tune violins, forgotten lines and crashing boredom! With a hip flask, these problems are solved – or at least numbed a little.)
- Another advantage to the best hip flask is that no one can see what you are drinking and judge you for it. So what if you prefer Bacardi to Brandy, or you’d rather enjoy an Archers and lemonade than a fancy Whisky!
- When you enjoy your favourite drink from a hip flask, no one will know that you’re not sampling the finest Scotch – and another bonus of the hip flask is that they are designed to be drunk by one person, not shared about, so no one will ever know your guilty drinking secrets!
- The shape of the hip flasks is another of its many bonuses; the curved lines of the flask is designed to fit snugly under clothing and be less obvious than a square edged bottle.
The Best Hip Flask Reviews
Whatever the occasion you are looking to purchase the best hip flasks for, and whether you are looking for one for yourself or for a friend or relative, you are certain to be able to find the one that suits your needs perfectly.
1. Hip Flask Set 6oz Brown Leather Hip Flask With 4 Steel Cups[amazon_link asins=’B00KRQ0SD6′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’mrellis-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’1d8c8c8e-0de1-46fc-8218-38bfbb1ec026′]
This fantastic hip flask is hand stitched in real brown leather, with a stainless steel plate for engraving on the front of it to make it really personal. The screw top cap keeps your drink safe and secure inside the flask, and it comes with four stainless steel glasses, so you can share your favourite tipple at a picnic or social gathering.
What I like about it:
- 100% Spanish leather casing – This is a really quality item, using only the finest materials. Genuine leather lasts longer than synthetic, so your new flask should be with you for years to come.
- Leather zip up case to hold the glasses – The four glasses stack up and fit snugly in the leather case, making them easy to carry around, and the case is a nice addition.
- The engraving plate adds a personal touch – Whether this is to be a gift for a best man, a relative or just a present for yourself, it’s great to have the option to personalise this gift. That way, everyone will know who’s it is!
- High quality workmanship – The stitching is all hand worked, meaning that it is not only durable but extremely attractive and should last and last.
2. Premier Housewares Tartan Hip Flask 8oz Green[amazon_link asins=’B005V0G3QO’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’mrellis-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’386a2f64-45ee-4be1-9957-cf9075557242′]
An unusual hip flask which is bound to make a statement, this one is bound in tartan and finished with leather. It is a high quality piece with a stitched leather trim at the top and the bottom, to give it a strong finish and a solid as well as an attractive look.
What I like about it:
- Strong, durable stainless steel construction – A good hip flask needs to be capable of holding liquor and not getting dented or springing a leak. This one fits that bill perfectly.
- Holds more fluid than some other flasks – If you need a little more tipple in your pocket for a longer event or just something to last you more than a few hours at an event then this one’s for you.
- It’s a very reasonable price – It’s rare to find a hip flask that is on the cheaper side of affordable, but this one will set you back so little it’s almost worth getting two! Great for buying in bulk for grooms man presents.
- Easily washable so it stays looking like new – The tartan cover can be washed in soapy water and left to dry to keep it looking in tip top condition. No need to worry about getting little drips or stains down the front of it!
3. Anpro 10oz Hip Flask Set[amazon_link asins=’B07B4WSVSF’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’mrellis-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’92fa15d5-9bf8-4835-89fc-140774b29950′]
Ever wanted to drink like James Bond? Well now you can, with this sleek, snazzy hip flask in stainless steel! It’s the perfect shape for carrying around with you, and the smooth curves and contours will be discreetly hidden under clothing for subtlety.
What I like about it:
- Cap is attached to the lid – This is great because it means you won’t fumble in the dark, lose the lid of your hip flask and have to down the contents to avoid getting whisky all down your trousers!
- Comes with a funnel – The biggest issue with most hips flasks is that they don’t come with an easy means of filling them. This one is equipped with its own stainless steel funnel to pour in your favourite drink.
- Four stainless steel shot glasses included – It’s a great thing to be able to share your favourite drink with your friends. With this hip flask you can (although only with four of them!)
- Easy to keep clean and sterile – The fact that this flask is stainless steel with no fabric or covering makes it simple to wash and dry, and easy to keep clean.
4. Harris Tweed Hip Flask Stainless Steel 6oz[amazon_link asins=’B078TJP7YK’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’mrellis-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’169951b3-e6ee-4d16-a849-ddbfbd94eda9′]
This fantastic hip flask is a really classy example. It is made from stainless steel so is very strong, and the Harris tweed covering is a really nice touch. Harris tweed brings a certain something to anything it covers, and this flask is no exception.
What I like about it:
- Holds 6oz of your favourite tipple – This is a great amount to take around with you – enough to enjoy yourself but not enough to give you a hangover!
- The Harris tweed is beautiful and comes in a variety of colours – Harris tweed is a well known and loved fabric, and having it wrapped around your favourite hip flask is a great effect!
- Comes in a presentation box – This makes it ideal as a gift for friends or family, you don’t even need to gift wrap it yourself!
- Real leather trim on the top and bottom – To finish off the classic look of this flask, it has genuine leather trim at both ends, with fine quality stitching for durability.
5. Laser Engraved Stainless Steel 6oz Hip Flask[amazon_link asins=’B06WWC4ZHQ’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’mrellis-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’e4d98497-5ba5-4f23-a2fe-cec87a9c50ab’]
A very manly looking hip flask, this one can be personalised with any name or message you want, to make it a really thoughtful gift for anyone you want to give it to. The engraving is in a really attractive font too, not blocky writing that can look a little odd.
What I like about it:
- Stainless steel construction for ease of cleaning – Steel is easy to keep hygenic, simply wash with warm soapy water and air dry.
- Unusual dark colour – Most hip flasks are bright, shiny steel, so the fact that this one comes in a dark colour makes it stand out and be unique.
- Great quality for such a low price – Usually you pay through the nose for high quality, but this one will surprise you with its classy, expensive look.
- Engraving appears gold or silver depending on the light conditions – This adds to the uniqueness of this gift, and means that it looks all the more fancy and appealing!
You may be thinking that hip flasks are a thing of the past, and that no self respecting gentleman these days would be seen dead with one, but you would be very wrong.
The hip flask has been around for several centuries, as it is a convenient and discreet way to drink – or, as in its earlier incarnations – to smuggle alcohol into places it was forbidden. The hip flask as we know it today first emerged in its form in the 18th century, and was primarily used by the gentry. So you see, you are in good company!